Search This Blog

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Remembering Mama Maya

Creative Living

Art By Henry Lee Battle

“Mama Maya”, that is what I called her. Maya’s words always ministered to me like the loving words of a mother.

The news of Marguerite Annie Johnson’s (Maya Angelou) passing has left me feeling a bit heavy. Not in a solemn sense, but because of the weight of the torch that is passed. Maya Angelou has been the water bearer to my garden for as far back as I want to remember.

She was the conscious of a world that is quick to fall asleep on what it means to human. Maya poured into the souls of the lost and forgotten. She embodied what it means to be an open vessel, allowing herself to be used for edification of a better humanity.

The gift of her wisdom now takes legs to run through the minds and hearts of those left behind.

I thank her for telling her story poetically, unapologetically, honestly, and with the healthiest dose of humility.

The spirit that resided in her also dwells in us. Honor her legacy with service, charity, education, hope, creativity, and most of all love.

Learn More | Maya Angelou Biography

No comments:

Post a Comment